Saturday, December 7, 2013

Log Book: November 24th

Conditions: 55 degrees cloudy
Location: Georgetown, SC

Dad and I left Bull Creek in the early afternoon after a chocolate chip pancake breakfast. It was still pretty cold, the seventy-five degree weather we saw in Wrightsville Beach was torturing our memories. Upon entering Georgetown we had a some navigational confusion. Just before the inlet to Georgetown two rivers meet, the Waccamaw and the Great Pee Dee (do you think a river named the Great Pee Dee is as funny as I do?). The converging rivers and inlet mean an excess of channel markers. We actually passed Georgetown at first and hand to battle back upstream to the town. Upon anchoring all we could think about was getting ashore. We did and found a strange restaurant that served pizza, sushi, nachos, and wings. Dad made friends with the restaurant manager as always and he insisted that we try their Carolina roll. It was excellent. We stayed for awhile and watched the Sunday football that was on. A family sat down next to us with their seven year old son. He talked to everyone, the waiter, the bar patrons, he even got up and talked to the guy behind the sushi bar. The boy's name was David and soon enough he turned around in his chair and talked to me. He asked, without any form of introduction "are you a Gamecock?" (University of South Carolina's mascot). David had the thickest southern accent. It was hard not to laugh at how cute he sounded. I told him no, I am a husky, grr. He was beyond confused. He tilted his head to the side, looked at the Cowboys playing on the tv, opened his eyes in awe, looked back at me and said "you're one of them with the dtars?" It took a few seconds for me to realize that he meant to say stars and he was asking if I was a Dallas Cowboy. I laughed and explained to him about the Uconn Huskies. Then it was my turn to ask him a question. I asked David if he wanted to be a Gamecock when he grows up. Without skipping a beat he responded, "I am a Gamecock." He only forgot to leave out the duh. At the end of our meals David gave Dad a high five as a farewell. He then came over to me. I put my hand up waiting for the high five, instead he flung out his arms and game me a hug goodbye. It was very sweet. 
We met a few boaters at the restaurant as well. They all had planned to stay in Georgetown for the next few days because of the bad weather ahead. Instead of staying like the rest of them, we would be making a mad dash for Charleston. It will take us two days. Tomorrow we'll stop in the marsh somewhere, about twenty miles from Charleston. The next morning we will pull into the city just before the winds start to pick up, hopefully. 

What we ate: sushi, nachos, wings
Spotted: iron schooner 


No comments:

Post a Comment