Friday, February 28, 2014

Log Book: February 11th

Conditions: 10 knot, S wind
Location: Rodriguez Key (part 2)

Although we got up early this morning in Marathon it took us awhile to restock, refuel, and check out of the marina. We didn't leave until 11:30, meaning we would be sailing into the night. The trip back up to Rodriguez was much more comfortable than the trip down. Dad attributed this to our cockpit awning that we erected before leaving the marina. It did a great job of keeping us out of the sun. We motored with the autopilot on almost the entire day, keeping our hands free to read, write this post, and dolphin watch. One such dolphin swam on our bow wake, another swam under our boat with her calf. Before we knew it we were ten miles away from the anchorage and the sun had set. Fortunately for us the moon was big and bright. I sat on bow for a long time keeping my eyes peeled for crab traps. By 9pm shapes started appearing out of the sea before my eyes. Wave crests started to look like black fins. Dark seaweed patches on the ocean floor began to look like rock formations and shadows cast across the water looked like darting sea monsters. Maybe I'm crazy, or have a vivid imagination, maybe I was just tired but I easily understand how sailors came home with horror stories of sea monsters. We got the anchor set in Rodriguez around 10pm. I told Dad that if he snored tonight I would be forced to suffocate him with my pillow.


No comments:

Post a Comment