Sunday, January 12, 2014

Log Book: December 23rd-25th

Conditions: 10 knots S wind
Location: Vero Beach

We left Eau Gallie quite early this morning, we needed to get to Vero Beach with enough time to restock our food supply. We had originally hoped to make it to West Palm for Christmas but it would be quite a flight to make in the next two days so we will stay the holiday in Vero Beach. We got a mooring with the marina there and made our way ashore. Vero turned out to be a great place to stop. They had a West Marine and a grocery store close by, a free shuttle to bring you there and back, and wide bike lanes. We got some authentic Mexican food while we were doing our shopping and then headed back to the marina. Even though it doesn't feel like Christmas in the warm weather, a few boat owners had tried to bring the Christmas spirit into the harbor, decking their boats in colored lights and miniature fir trees. Mom gave me a small Cyprus tree when we saw her in Jacksonville so I guess Dad and I are participating a bit. We relaxed and watched the sun set on the boat, a quiet but relaxing evening. 

Christmas Day Dad and I went for a long bike ride in the morning and found a great secluded beach called Turtle Cove. You had to walk through a tunnel of mangroves and sea grape trees to reach the sand. It was beautiful and the water was warm but neither of us decided to go in, the ride back was too long to be wet. When we got back to the main drag we treated ourselves to giant Bloody Mary's with jumbo shrimp garnishes at a beach bar not far from the marina. We stayed for awhile at the bar, reacclimatizing ourselves to people before calling it a day. It was a simple way to spend Christmas and it was nice but I missed my family. I missed the brightly colored wrapping paper, new toys strewn on the floor amongst the pine needles, the smiles, the hugs, I even missed the chaos of traveling through the snow to visit them on Christmas. I decided next year on Christmas I'll do all the things that I missed twice. Twice as many hugs, twice as many smiles, and twice as many pieces of my aunt's cheesecake. 

What we ate: fish tacos, burritos, salad, shrimp & Dad had buffalo wings

Spotted: coconut stages




No comments:

Post a Comment