Saturday, October 12, 2013

Log Book: October 10th

Conditions: 14mph NE wind, 64 degrees
Location: Morris Cove, New Haven

Last night was horrible. The waves slapped the hull and the halyards smacked the mast all night as the boat rolled continuously back and forth in the harbor. This, along with the ebb and flow of my father's snoring, kept me up for most of the night (although he got very little sleep as well). In the morning we regretfully backtracked to Niantic Bay Yacht Club to pick up a bag we had forgotten. My sister graciously dropped it off with some breakfast sandwiches. Then we were off once again. Before long I had the inkling that my egg and cheese was attempting a reappearance. My stomach has never faired well with the downwind sail, so I spent most of the afternoon napping or on deck staring unblinking at the horizon. The site of New Haven harbor was unwelcoming for the waves and wind persisted even past the break waters. The sail boat we had followed into the channel already begun to turn back, obviously deciding that this was not the oasis from the storm that they had envisioned. We did not have this luxury. Tired and hungry we trudged on for Morris Cove.


No comments:

Post a Comment