Friday, October 25, 2013

Log Book: October 22nd

Conditions: 60 degrees & partly cloudy
Location: Hancock Harbor

Dad and I spent the next four days visiting with the Aunts. The first day I was glued to the TV like I had never seen one before. It was strange to stay off the boat. It had turned into our home, the constant movement our new reality. This sleeping on shore in a bed was now foreign and unreal. Feeling still was now uncomfortable and my mind constantly struggled trying to determine what had changed. We had a nice visit, restocked, and even got to meet some of my Aunt's close friends at lunch. Carol, the big personality at the lunch, gravitated toward me. She said that having three sons just makes you want to be around girls all the time and that "we (girls) have our own language." I had no idea how to respond. Yes, girls do have their own language and I have never been able to speak it. Carol's girl code reminded me of how lucky I am to have made the girl friends I have at home. I don't know if they speak girl either, but we at least have our own language together. It has been almost two weeks since we left home. It feels like we haven't gotten very far and I am eager to set off again. The visit was just what we needed ... some quality time ashore, but it was time to move on. Yesterday, (Monday) we packed up the boat, planning to stay one last night on the dock and leave in the morning. As we were transferring our goodies, a crabbing boat, the Cohansay Queen, pulled up to the dock. On board were the kind of baskets used to store apples ... a bushel, as we say, brimming over with blue crabs. Dad, always the smooth talker, asked if we could buy some of their catch. Instead the captain gave us seven crabs. We left a few beers aboard his boat for the generosity. Fair trade? I don't think so. The crabs were the sweetest blues we had ever tasted. Dipped in Old Bay butter, they were heaven. But I digress, because before we could even chow down on the crabs another boat came in. The owner saw us packing for the trip. He told us that he had gone hunting the previous day and caught some extra duck. Dad looked at me for affirmation (as if he had to even ask if I wanted fresh duck). We ate like king and queen and waited out the night. This morning we departed the quiet salt marsh and headed for C&D canal (Chesapeake and Delaware) heading for Annapolis. 

What we ate: steamed blue crab & duck medallions in a shallot butter sauce 
What we drank: hot buttered rum (I was skeptical but it was very good)
Spotted: tiny dress from Okinawa brought back for the aunts by my grandfather while on tour in the Pacific 





No comments:

Post a Comment